The official website for European football

Turkey round-up: Fenerbahçe close gap at top

Published: Monday 11 March 2002, 0.53CET
Fenerbahçe SK moved into second place in the Turkish 1. Lig with a 1-0 win at Antalyaspor.
Published: Monday 11 March 2002, 0.53CET

Turkey round-up: Fenerbahçe close gap at top

Fenerbahçe SK moved into second place in the Turkish 1. Lig with a 1-0 win at Antalyaspor.

Fenerbahçe SK moved into second place and a UEFA Champions league qualifying spot behind Galatasaray SK in the Turkish 1. Lig with a 1-0 victory away at Antalyaspor on Sunday courtesy of a 72nd-minute strike from Oktay Derelioglu.

Early chances
Antalyaspor had the better of the early exchanges with Mustafa Gursel causing the Fenerbahçe defence countless problems. His promptings created a chance for Ugur Yasan who forced a good save from Rüstü Reçber in the Fenerbahçe goal after 13 minutes.

Kingston on hand
The visitors fashioned their best chance of the first half on the half hour when Abdullah Ercan's pass found Derelioglu who unleashed a fierce shot from the edge of the area but Richard Kingston, the Antalyaspor goalkeeper, was equal to the task. Fenerbahçe continued to force their way into the game and Kingston was called upon to make a series of stops in the dying minutes of the half.

Chances go begging
In the second period both sides had chances to break the deadlock but Fenerbahçe came closest after 65 minutes when Abdullah Ercan’s cross was deflected to Yusuf Simsek who shot wide.

Derelioglu breaks deadlock
Seven minutes later the goal finally came for the visitors. Fatih Akyel crossed from the right and Serhat Akin's header rebounded off the post but Derelioglu pounced on the loose ball to fire it into the net. After that it was all Fenerbahçe and three minutes before full time a second effort from Derelioglu was ruled out for offside.

Cihan at the double
Elsewhere in 1. Lig, Denizlispor eased their relegation worries with a 2-1 home win over Göztepe thanks to two goals from Veysel Cihan. The opening goal came two minutes before half-time when a header from Fernand Coulibaly at a corner rebounded off the goalkeeper Bora Kork and fell to Cihan to score from close range.

Headed winner
Five minutes into the second half Göztepe equalised as Mustafa Ozkan swooped to head home a Mehmet Onur cross. Denizlispor's winner came 18 minutes later, Cihan heading Muzaffer Bilazer's cross past the helpless Kork.

Bursaspor take spoils
Fifth-placed Bursaspor, who now occupy a UEFA Cup qualifying position, took the lead twice as they beat Kocaelispor 2-1 away with all three goals coming in the second half. After 62 minutes John Lesiba Mosheou's free-kick found Sauleyman Fatih Sen and his powerful shot flew in for the opener. Kocaelispor were level just six minutes later, however, when Claudemir Vitor’s cross from right picked out Kwame Ayew who headed it on to Serdar Topraktepe who header home.

Drilled winner
Bursaspor secured the points 12 minutes from time as Okan Yilmaz drilled his shot through a crowded penalty area and into the net for the winner.

Score draw
Malatyaspor and Gaziantepspor played out a 1-1 draw in the weekend's other match. Malatyaspor broke the deadlock on the hour through Josh Carlos Santa Da Silva. Selguk Yildirimkaya's pass found Artim Shakiri and he picked out Carlos who beat Gaziantepspor keeper Fevzi Tuncay to his right. On 72 minutes the visitors equalised, Erdal Günes' cross into the area from the right found Maxim Romaschenko who volleyed home.

Last updated: 16/11/12 6.11CET