The official website for European football

England round-up: United stunned

Published: Saturday 1 December 2001, 12.00CET
Chelsea FC inflicted a 3-0 home defeat on Manchester United FC in the English FA Premiership on Saturday. features

A new start through football
  • A new start through football
  • UEFA President hails football progress in Lithuania
  • O’Neill briefs student coaches on communication
  • France mourns Henri Michel
  • Financial fair play and club licensing review
  • Ofenbach to perform at UEFA Europa League final
  • Crucial career step for UEFA Youth League referees
  • UEFA advice for young talents
  • Eyes on the prize
  • Inter back for more
1 of 10
Published: Saturday 1 December 2001, 12.00CET

England round-up: United stunned

Chelsea FC inflicted a 3-0 home defeat on Manchester United FC in the English FA Premiership on Saturday.

Chelsea FC stunned champions Manchester United FC with a 3-0 win at Old Trafford stadium in the English FA Premiership on Saturday.

Early lead
It was United's heaviest home league defeat in nine seasons. Chelsea took the lead in the sixth minute through a Mario Melchiot header but had to wait until the 63rd minute for Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink to double their advantage. The Dutch international striker finished off a Chelsea counter-attack with a fine finish past Fabien Barthez.

Remarkable victory
Chelsea’s remarkable victory was completed by Eidur Gudjohnsen four minutes from time and they now leapfrog United in the table. It was the second straight domestic defeat for Sir Alex Ferguson’s men after they lost 3-1 to Arsenal FC last weekend.

Owen on target
A goal for striker Michael Owen kept Liverpool FC at the top of the FA Premiership as they won 1-0 at struggling Derby County FC. Owen tapped the ball home from close range after Derby goalkeeper Mart Poom failed to hold Patrik Berger’s shot after 19 minutes, but Liverpool owed their success to goalkeeper Jerzy Dudek who saved a late penalty from Derby’s Fabrizio Ravanelli.

Henry inspires Arsenal
Arsenal FC remain in contention for the Premiership title after a 2-0 win against Ipswich Town FC. Thierry Henry set up a fifth minute goal for Fredrik Ljungberg and then scored from the penalty-spot after 56 minutes after Mark Venus was adjudged to have fouled Ljungberg.

Newcastle denied London win
A late goal from Charlie McDonald denied Newcastle United FC their first win in London in 28 visits as they drew 1-1 with Charlton Athletic FC. Gary Speed had given Newcastle the lead after 73 minutes and there was more frustration for Newcastle manager Bobby Robson after captain Alan Shearer was dismissed three minutes from time.

Leicester stun Villa
Leicester City FC scored a surprise 2-0 victory away to Aston Villa FC with Ade Akinbiyi and Jamie Scowcroft scoring for the visitors, while a goal for Middlesbrough FC’s Alen Bokšic was enough to give his side a 1-0 win at Blackburn Rovers FC. West Ham United FC paid the price for missing a host of chances at the Stadium of Light as Kevin Phillips’ 85th-minute goal gave Sunderland AFC a 1-0 win.

Last updated: 15/11/12 20.14CET

Related information

Member associations
Team profiles