The official website for European football

Fenerbahçe stay in control

Published: Sunday 24 April 2005, 14.31CET
Fenerbahçe SK maintained their lead at the Turkish Superleague summit with victory at BB Ankaraspor. features

UEFA & FARE network unite to promote inclusion, diversity and accessibility
  • UEFA & FARE network unite to promote inclusion, diversity and accessibility
  • Luís Figo joins UEFA as Football Advisor
  • UEFA launches anti-doping reporting platform
  • #EqualGame focus at London sports business summit
  • 2017 UEFA Grassroots Awards winners unveiled
  • Grassroots gold goes to Northern Irish club
  • ‘Football gives you freedom’: Hungarian blind footballer stars in UEFA’s #EqualGame campaign
  • Keeping competitive balance - Aleksander Čeferin
  • 13th Extraordinary UEFA Congress decisions
  • UEFA launches new #EqualGame adverts starring Hegerberg, Messi, Pogba, Ronaldo & amateur players
1 of 10
Published: Sunday 24 April 2005, 14.31CET

Fenerbahçe stay in control

Fenerbahçe SK maintained their lead at the Turkish Superleague summit with victory at BB Ankaraspor.

By Türker Tozar

Fenerbahçe SK continue to head the Turkish Superleague table by four points after the top four sides all won their weekend fixtures.

Double dreams
Having progressed to the Turkish Cup final in midweek, the reigning champions remain on course for a domestic double with victory at BB Ankaraspor. Brazilian midfield player Alex scored the only goal of the game a minute before half-time with a powerful effort that went in off the post.

Sükür slip
Galatasaray SK produced the same scoreline in their home victory against Diyarbakirspor to keep up the pressure on their Istanbul rivals. Necati Ates hit the decisive goal on the stroke of half-time, after Hakan Sükür had hit the post with a penalty 15 minutes earlier. However, Gheorghe Hagi's side were forced to complete the game with ten men following Ayhan Akman's 90th-minute dismissal for two bookable offences.

Super substitute
Two points further back, Trabzonspor maintained their chances of reaching the UEFA Champions League next season after coming from behind to win against MKE Ankaragücü. Emre Güngör headed the relegation-threatened side ahead after six minutes, but their lead lasted just three minutes thanks to Adem Koçak's long-range equaliser. Adem went on to score his side's second in similar fashion nine minutes before the break, before Hasan Üçüncü came off the substitutes' bench to seal the win.

Ahmed adulation
Besiktas JK gained revenge on Konyaspor for their Turkish Cup exit earlier in the campaign with a 2-1 win. Konyaspor looked to have secured a point after Muhammet Hanifi Akagündüz cancelled out Ahmed Hassan's 14th-minute strike eight minutes from time, but Ahmed was on target once again with a superb 88th-minute lob to earn Besiktas the spoils.

Rizespor stunned
The Dark Eagles are almost certainly guaranteed European football next season after moving 14 points clear of fifth-placed Denizlispor, who threw away a two-goal lead in the final 30 minutes to draw 2-2 with relegation threatened Istanbulspor AS. Sixth-placed Rizespor were upset 3-1 at Sakaryaspor, who are now four points clear of the drop zone, thanks to goals from Burak Akdis, Saïd Makasi and Fatih Ceylan.

Samsunspor triumph
Elsewhere, bottom club Akçaabat Sebatspor earned their 15th point of the campaign following a 2-2 draw against Malatyaspor, Kayserispor moved to within four points of safety after a goalless draw with Gençlerbirligi SK and Samsunspor cruised to a 3-1 win at Gaziantepspor.

Last updated: 25/04/05 1.07CET



Related information

Member associations
Team profiles