The official website for European football

Brugge on the brink

Published: Sunday 1 May 2005, 20.44CET
KVC Anderlecht's draw at KVC Westerlo means Club Brugge KV are one victory away from winning the league. features

UEFA-funded project to be Kazakhstan’s springboard to footballing success
  • UEFA-funded project to be Kazakhstan’s springboard to footballing success
  • Dialogue with fans crucial – UEFA President
  • UEFA’s educational programme aims to look after tomorrow’s stars
  • Youth League referees taking a major step
  • Ex-England defender Ugo Ehiogu dies aged 44
  • 'Let us not be afraid' - Aleksander Čeferin
  • Assistant referees train in Malaga
  • The long and the shirt of it...
  • Facing challenges and embracing change - Aleksander Čeferin
  • Discover UEFA's competitions
1 of 10
Published: Sunday 1 May 2005, 20.44CET

Brugge on the brink

KVC Anderlecht's draw at KVC Westerlo means Club Brugge KV are one victory away from winning the league.

By Berend Scholten

Club Brugge KV are one win away from regaining the Belgian First Division title after they defeated R. Excelsior Mouscron, while defending champions RSC Anderlecht drew 2-2 at KVC Westerlo.

Rapid response
Hannu Tihinen gave Anderlecht a 16th-minute lead, but five minutes later the home side had turned the game in their favour after Peter Utaka equalised and Alex Brosque put them in front on 21 minutes. Westerlo held that advantage until seven minutes from time when a strike from Mbo Mpenza rescued a point for the visitors.

Super substitute
As a result, Hugo Broos' side have now slipped even further off the pace at the top after Brugge won at Mouscron. Substitute Boško Balaban scored the decisive goal with eleven minutes remaining to put Trond Sollied's outfit eight points clear of Anderlecht, meaning victory next week at RAEC Mons will guarantee them the title.

Roussel double
Anderlecht are still in danger of missing out on UEFA Champions League football next season, with R. Standard de Liège now trailing second place by six points after defeating K. Sint Truidense VV 4-1. Three goals in 13 first-half minutes from Cedric Roussel, Sambegou Bangoura and Wamberto gave Standard a three-goal advantage at the break, before Roussel scored his second on the hour. Mathieu Béda replied late on for Sint-Truiden.

Last-gasp equaliser
Standard currently hold third place and a UEFA Cup berth outright, after KRC Genk drew with relegation-threatened KV Oostende. Mirsad Beslija and Kevin Vandebergh had twice put Genk ahead, only for both leads to be cancelled out by Zephirin Zoko and a last-minute Bjorn De Wilde strike for Oostende, who had Brian Vandenbergh dismissed on 75 minutes.

Charleroi charge
René Vandereycken’s team slipped to fifth after R. Charleroi SC leapfrogged them by winning 4-0 at KSV Cercle Brugge, courtesy of Izzet Akgül's strike, an own goal from Djordje Svetlicic and a Sébastien Chabaud double.

Mons fall
At the bottom, FC Molenbeek Brussels Strombeek moved up to 16th and out of the drop zone after Igor De Camargo’s 85th-minute winner defeated K. Lierse SK 3-2. Brussels’ win and Oostende’s draw means Mons move to the basement after losing 2-0 at KFC Germinal Beerschot.

Wagneau treble
Elsewhere, a goal from Dario Smoje’s goal ensured victory for KAA Gent at KSC Lokeren OV, while RAA Louviéroise won 3-0 against KSK Beveren thanks to a hat-trick from Wagneau Eloi.

Last updated: 02/05/05 0.20CET



Related information

Team profiles