The official website for European football

Turkey round-up: Gençlerbirligi keep on winning

Published: Sunday 1 September 2002, 23.00CET
Gençlerbirligi kept up their 100 per cent record thanks to a 3-1 home win against Göztepe. features

Exco meets in Kyiv
  • Exco meets in Kyiv
  • 'Limitless potential' for women's football
  • Adámková's 'once in a lifetime' referee date in Kyiv
  • UEFA Executive Committee agenda for Kyiv meeting
  • Professional Football Strategy Council meets in Lyon
  • UEFA Social Responsibility report highlights achievements
  • UEFA and Rita Ora pair up to support #WePlayStrong
  • Referee Meler hopes U17 final just the start
  • Grundbacher thrilled by WU17 final assignment
  • Kuipers ready for Lyon assignment
1 of 10
Published: Sunday 1 September 2002, 23.00CET

Turkey round-up: Gençlerbirligi keep on winning

Gençlerbirligi kept up their 100 per cent record thanks to a 3-1 home win against Göztepe.

Gençlerbirligi kept up their 100 per cent record and ended the weekend on top of the Turkish first division thanks to a 3-1 home win against Göztepe.

Gürsel double
Mustafa Gürsel was on target twice for the hosts, with Thomas Zdebel converting a penalty. Senol Yavas scored a 78th-minute consolation goal for Göztepe

Washington celebrates
Fenerbahçe SK's Brazilian striker Washington helped himself to a hat-trick as his side beat Denizlispor 3-2. Washington was on target in the third, 14th and 63rd minute to virtually secure the points. Henrich Bencik and Mustafa Özkan's both scored in the last five mintues to give Dinizlspor hope, but there was no time for an equaliser.

Gaziantepspor on form
Elazigspor suffered a 3-1 home defeat against Gaziantepspor, having fallen behind as early as the seventh minute. Cem Beceren levelled the score for the home side, but Mustafa Sahintürk made it  2-1 just before half-time and Yaw Preko secured the Gaziantepspor victory in the final minute.

Surprise at Samsunpor
Istanbulspor AS claimed a surprise 2-1 away win against Samsunspor. The home team took the lead with a Celil Sagir goal on 16 minutes and held the lead for over an hour. However, defender Uche Okechukwu equalised with 13 minutes to go, leaving enough time for Cenk Isler to score the winning goal for the visitors.

Dramatic draw
On Saturday, Malatyaspor snatched a fine 2-2 draw against Galatasaray SK with a goal six minutes from the end. Galatasaray took a first-half lead through Arif Erdem, but Fazli Ulusoy levelled before the break. Ümit Karan restored Galatasaray's advantage, but Fazli was on target again to ensure a share of the points.

New signing on target
Trabzonspor claimed their first win of the season by beating Adanaspor 1-0. Fatih Tekke, recently signed from Gaziantepspor, was the hero with his goal just two minute from full time.

Ankaragücü win thriller
MKE Ankaragücü had to work hard to win 3-2 at Altay JK. Ümit Inal put the home side ahead on 19 minutes but Hakan Keles equalised just after the half-hour mark. In the second period, Ibrahim Akin put Altay back ahead, but Hami Mandirali and Yilmaz Özlem both scored for the visitors to ensure all three points went back to Ankara.

Bottom side beaten
Elsewhere, Bursaspor overcame bottom side KDÇ Kocaelispor 4-2 thanks to a treble from Okan Yilmaz, while Besiktas JK beat Diyarbakirspor 2-0 on Friday night, with goals coming from Daniel Pancu and Tayfur Havutçu.

Last updated: 02/09/02 2.56CET



Related information

Member associations
Team profiles