The official website for European football

Faroe Islands round-up: Title triumph in Tórshavn

Published: Sunday 29 September 2002, 23.00CET
HB Tórshavn clinched their 16th title by beating EB/Streymur 2-0 as their rivals faltered. features

A new start through football
  • A new start through football
  • UEFA President hails football progress in Lithuania
  • France mourns Henri Michel
  • Financial fair play and club licensing review
  • Ofenbach to perform at UEFA Europa League final
  • Crucial career step for UEFA Youth League referees
  • UEFA advice for young talents
  • Eyes on the prize
  • Inter back for more
  • Make your bid in the Match for Solidarity digital auction!
1 of 10
Published: Sunday 29 September 2002, 23.00CET

Faroe Islands round-up: Title triumph in Tórshavn

HB Tórshavn clinched their 16th title by beating EB/Streymur 2-0 as their rivals faltered.

HB Tórshavn have become the first team to book their place in the 2003/04 UEFA Champions League by winning the title in the Faroe Islands.

Championship joy
Tórshavn clinched their 16th championship with one round of matches still to play after a 2-0 home success against lowly EB/Streymur because they were the only team in top three to get any points on Sunday. EB provided firm resistance for 75 minutes, but were unable to stop Andrew av Fløtum giving Tórshavn the lead. And, despite the dismissal of goalkeeper Bárður Johannesen, Tórshavn made the game safe with a goal from defender Hans á Lag late in the game.

Runavík slip up
After the final whistle HB still had to wait and see if NSÍ Runavík had managed to overcome B68 Toftir at home. However, they were behind after just two minutes and ultimately lost 2-1. B68 had taken a shock early lead with a goal from Arnold Joensen. Shortly before the interval, B68 had Brazilian defender Messias Perreira sent off for a professional foul, but they still had the strength to make it two shortly after the break, when Øssur Hansen took advantage of a loose ball in the box. Sonni L. Petersen pulled one back for NSÍ, but it was too little too late for the hosts, who now will have to fight it out with KÍ Klaksvík for second place on the final day of the season. Both teams now have 33 points after falling five behind the champions.

KÍ lose out
Just like Runavík, Klaksvík were trailing Tórshavn by two points before this round, so they had to get a result away at VB Vágur to keep their title hopes alive but also lost 2-1. Heðin á Lakjuni gave Klaksvík the lead, and for a brief spell they were level on points with HB. But only a few minutes later, Robert Cieslewicz levelled for VB, and when Mortan úr Hørg put VB ahead with ten minutes to go, it was all over for the Blues.

Tvøroyri down
A relegation battle was fought out at Skála, where the visitors TB Tvøroyri needed a win to avoid the drop. The outcome was sensational, as Skála cruised to an 8-0 victory, including a Jonhard Fredriksberg hat-trick. Skála now face the prospect of a relegation play-off for their place in the top flight.

No winner in Gøta
GÍ Gøtu and B36 Tórshavn did not have much to play for except fourth spot, which would mean a place in the UEFA Intertoto Cup next summer. But tempers still flared, and on three occasions the ref had to pull out his red card. First to go was Gøtu veteran Magni Jarnskor before B36 internationals John Petersen and Julian Johnsson were given their marching orders in a 2-2 draw.

FS Vágar promoted
In the second division, FS Vágar were already assured of promotion, and after the final round of matches on Saturday, B71 Sandur finished runners-up and will have a two-legged play-off against Skála or EB for a place in the top flight.

Last updated: 27/05/03 14.34CET



Related information

Team profiles