Handed his first caps for France in November 2011, against the United States and Belgium, Olivier Giroud arrives at UEFA EURO 2012 as an in-demand striker after his career-best tally of 21 league goals inspired Montpellier Hérault SC to their first Ligue 1 title.
• Born in Chambery, he made a discreet start to his career in Ligue 2 with Grenoble Foot 38 and was subsequently despatched on loan to third-tier FC Istres, where he scored 14 goals in 33 league games.
• Left Grenoble in 2008 for Tours FC, also a Ligue 2 club, where he struck nine goals in his debut season before becoming the club's top scorer in 2009/10 with 21 in 38 games.
• Recruited by Montpellier in summer 2010, he scored the winning goal on his debut, a UEFA Europa League qualifier away to Hungarian club Győri ETO FC.
• Made his Ligue 1 bow on 8 August 2010 in a 1-0 win against FC Girondins de Bordeaux and scored his first goal three weeks later at Valenciennes FC; he would end the campaign as the club's top scorer, with 12 goals.
• Propelled Montpellier to the Ligue 1 crown in 2011/12 with a joint league best 21 goals, a total which included two hat-tricks and was matched by Nenê of title rivals Paris Saint-Germain FC.
• Opened the scoring against Germany on his first start for France, a 2-1 friendly victory in Bremen on 29 February 2012.
©UEFA.com 1998-2014. All rights reserved.