Playing career: Galatasaray AŞ
Coaching career: Bursaspor, Gençlerbirliği SK, Galatasaray AŞ, Bakı FK
UEFA Cup: winner 2000
UEFA Super Cup: winner 2000
• A Galatasaray legend, centre-back Bülent Korkmaz became the first player to win 100 international caps for Turkey – a feat he achieved in August 2004.
• Joined Galatasaray at the age of 11, initially as a goalkeeper before switching to a defensive midfielder then a central defender. Promoted to the first-team squad during the 1988/89 season and became a stalwart of the back four, winning his first trophy in 1991 – the Turkish Cup – followed by a league and cup double two years later.
• Made his first appearance for Turkey in a 5-0 defeat by the Republic of Ireland in the team's opening EURO '92 qualifier on 17 October 1990.
• Appointed as Galatasaray captain in 1995 and would hold on to the position for the next decade until his retirement, leading the Istanbul giants to five Turkish titles, four Turkish Cup wins and the UEFA Cup (against Arsenal FC on penalties in the final) and UEFA Super Cup (2-1 against Real Madrid CF) in 2000; also helped Cim bom to the quarter-finals of the 2000/01 UEFA Champions League.
• Made his major tournament bow for Turkey at EURO '96; he reappeared at the 2002 FIFA World Cup, starting six of the seven games and scoring in a 3-0 group stage defeat of China en route to a third-place finish.
• Made 102 appearances in UEFA club competition for Galatasaray and ended his career on the same number of caps for Turkey after a final, post-retirement farewell appearance against Bulgaria in Sofia on 17 August 2005.
• Moved into coaching at end of his playing career and had brief spells in charge of Bursaspor and Gençlerbirliği before taking over at Galatasaray and Bakı.
• Bülent received a commemorative cap and medal from UEFA to mark his century of international appearances on 11 October 2011, before Turkey's 1-0 win against Azerbaijan in UEFA European Championship qualifying.
• "When I reached 100 games for Galatasaray, UEFA gave me a nice painting," he said. "Like I did with that award, I'll give this gift pride of place in my house. I would like to thank UEFA very much."
©UEFA.com 1998-2017. All rights reserved.