An industrious and athletic midfielder who can also play at right-back, Roberto Hilbert won the Bundesliga in his first season with VfB Stuttgart, during which he also earned his first senior Germany cap.
• A native of northern Bavaria, he had spells as a youth player at 1. FC Nürnberg before making his professional debut in the second tier with SpVgg Greuther Fürth.
• Made 34 second division appearances for Fürth, scoring three goals, in 2005/06 season, earning international recognition at Under-21 level and €1.3m transfer to Stuttgart.
• Enjoyed triumphant debut campaign in Bundesliga, scoring seven goals for Stuttgart, including four in five games during title run-in.
• Won first senior cap in March 2007 friendly against Denmark in Duisburg (0-1); appeared in four UEFA EURO 2008 qualifiers but not selected for final tournament.
• Made UEFA Champions League debut in September 2007 against Rangers FC at Ibrox (1-2) and scored first European goal in following season's UEFA Cup group game against R. Standard de Liège (3-0).
Did you know?
Hilbert was the only Stuttgart player to feature in all 34 matches of the club's 2006/07 Bundesliga title triumph.
©UEFA.com 1998-2017. All rights reserved.