The official website for European football

Last-gasp Benfica beat Marseille

Published: Thursday 18 March 2010, 20.55CET
Olympique de Marseille 1-2 SL Benfica (agg: 2-3)
Alan Kardec fired a dramatic late winner as the visitors clawed their way back to claim a place in the quarter-finals.
by Chris Burke
from Stade Vélodrome
Published: Thursday 18 March 2010, 20.55CET

Last-gasp Benfica beat Marseille

Olympique de Marseille 1-2 SL Benfica (agg: 2-3)
Alan Kardec fired a dramatic late winner as the visitors clawed their way back to claim a place in the quarter-finals.

A last-gasp strike from Alan Kardec secured SL Benfica a place in the UEFA Europa League last eight as the Portuguese Liga leaders fought back to oust Olympique de Marseille.

Having earned a 1-1 draw in Lisbon, Didier Deschamps's charges opted for a conservative approach on home soil, but still managed to take the lead through Mamadou Niang with 20 minutes remaining. That put the home side firmly on the road to the quarter-finals, yet Maxi Pereira quickly responded with a deflected effort and Kardec blasted in a free-kick from fellow substitute Pablo Aimar to complete a dramatic turnaround.

Despite playing into a forceful wind as the game kicked off, Benfica threatened within four minutes as Angel Di María forced Steve Mandanda to save low to his left. OM did not take too much longer to settle, but cautious of sending too many bodies forward – not to mention a little wasteful in possession – their energies were mostly spent winning a tight midfield battle.

The next real opening took another 20 minutes to arise, the visitors' Óscar Cardozo skimming the post with a vicious left-footed effort after sidestepping Stéphane Mbia. Di María then looked to take control, testing Mandanda with another low attempt before failing to beat him to a loose ball, but Marseille nonetheless saw out the half on a high as Lucho González fired just wide.

The pattern did not change after the restart, however, with the French club both cautious and profligate, yet it was they who opened the scoring, Niang blasting in having initially directed Benoît Cheyrou's free-kick back into the box. Five minutes later, the score – and the tie – was level again, Maxi Pereira adding to his first-leg effort with a low shot from distance that took a deflection off Cheyrou. Extra time seemed inevitable until Kardec's sensational late contribution, followed by a late red card for OM substitute Hatem Ben Arfa.

Last updated: 27/09/14 3.15CET

Related information

Player profiles
Team profiles
Related match
  • SSI Err features

Who exactly are Zorya Luhansk?
  • Who exactly are Zorya Luhansk?
  • Ten claims to fame: Rapid Wien
  • Ten claims to fame: Lazio
  • Watch: When Club Brugge fell to Liverpool at Wembley
  • Best Player, reporters' view: Lionel Messi
  • Best Player, reporters' view: Cristiano Ronaldo
  • Best Player, reporters' view: Luis Suárez
  • Wexford Youths relish European bow
  • Apollon's Cuschieri ready for Hibernians reunion
  •'s weekly wonderkid: Assane Gnoukouri
1 of 10
  • © 1998-2015 UEFA. All rights reserved.
  • The UEFA word, the UEFA logo and all marks related to UEFA competitions, are protected by trade marks and/or copyright of UEFA. No use for commercial purposes may be made of such trade marks. Use of signifies your agreement to the Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy.