Clubs: EC Vitória Bahia, SL Benfica, Chelsea FC
UEFA Champions League: winner 2012
• David Luiz made his senior debut in his native Brazil for Vitória aged 18 and went on to make 47 league appearances for the club, scoring seven goals, before moving to Benfica in January 2007.
• Represented Brazil at the 2007 FIFA U-20 World Cup in Canada, losing to Spain in the last 16.
• Injured for most of his first full season in Lisbon, making just eight Liga appearances, but more prominent in 2008/09, chiefly as a left-back, scoring two goals in 19 league outings, his first in a 1-0 win at home to SC Braga on 11 January 2009.
• Converted to centre-back by new Benfica coach Jorge Jesus in 2009/10 and started all but one of Eagles' matches in Liga-winning campaign; also helped the club retain the Portuguese League Cup and named Portugal's Player of the Year.
• Called up by new Brazil coach Mano Menezes and made his senior debut against the United States on 10 August 2010 in East Rutherford, winning 2-0.
• Moved to Chelsea on transfer deadline day in January 2011 in a deal worth €25m.
• Scored the first goal, in a 2-0 victory against Bayer 04 Leverkusen, of Chelsea's triumphant 2011/12 UEFA Champions League campaign, making 11 appearances in total as the Blues won the trophy for the first time.
©UEFA.com 1998-2013. All rights reserved.