Clubs: Club Nacional, FC Groningen, AFC Ajax, Liverpool FC
• Suárez made a promising start to his career with Nacional in his native Uruguay, scoring ten league goals in his only season with the Montevideo-based side before moving to the Netherlands and joining Groningen.
• Also found the net ten times – in 29 appearances - during his debut Eredivisie campaign, prompting a transfer to Ajax, for whom he scored once on his Eredivisie debut and twice on his home debut at the Amsterdam ArenA.
• Finished second in the Eredivisie scoring charts with 22 goals in 2008/09 and top of the pile the following season with 35 in 33 matches, which contributed to a stunning all-competitions haul of 49 in his first season as Ajax captain.
• Skippered Ajax to victory in the 2009/10 Dutch Cup and was voted Netherlands' Footballer of the Year for 2010.
• Dismissed on his international debut for Uruguay – a friendly against Colombia in February 2007 – he scored five goals to help the Celeste qualify for the 2010 FIFA World Cup and added three more at the finals, where Uruguay finished fourth; missed the semi-final defeat by the Netherlands through suspension after being sent off for a last-minute handball in the quarter-final against Ghana.
• Started the 2010/11 campaign in blistering form for club and country, scoring hat-tricks against De Graafschap and Indonesia, but was banned for seven matches for biting Otman Bakkal during Ajax's 0-0 draw with PSV Eindhoven on 20 November.
• Struck on his Liverpool debut against Stoke City FC − two days after he had joined the Reds for €26.5m in the final hours of the January transfer window − and ended the season as a Copa América winner, scoring twice in the last four against Peru (2-0) and once in the final versus Paraguay (3-0).
©UEFA.com 1998-2014. All rights reserved.