Clubs: FC Schalke 04, FC Bayern München
• A graduate of the Schalke academy, he caught the eye with a brilliant display away to FC Porto in the 2007/08 UEFA Champions League, his many saves including two in a penalty shoot-out that took his team through to the quarter-finals.
• A stalwart in Germany's U21 side, he became a European champion at that level in 2009, starting all five matches in Sweden and conceding just one goal.
• Capped for the first time at senior level on the eve of those U21 finals – in a friendly against the United Arab Emirates – he became Germany's first choice at the 2010 FIFA World Cup after the death of Robert Enke and an injury to René Adler.
• Ever-present in 2009/10 as Schalke finished runners-up in the Bundesliga, he was appointed club captain at the start of 2010/11 and successfully skippered his team to the UEFA Champions League semi-finals.
• Made a stunning start to his career at the Fußball Arena München after joining Bayern in June 2011, setting a club record of 1,147 minutes without conceding a goal between early August and mid-October.
• Appeared in all but one of Bayern's matches en route to the 2012 UEFA Champions League final – where he scored a penalty past Petr Čech in the shoot-out but ultimately ended up on the losing team against Chelsea FC – and was ever-present in the Bavarians' triumphant 2013 European campaign.
• After a 2013/14 season in which he helped Bayern to Bundesliga, FIFA Club World Cup and German Cup glory, he started every game in Brazil as Germany won the FIFA World Cup, conceding four goals in seven matches.
UEFA Champions League: runner-up 2012; winner 2013
UEFA European Under-21 Championship: winner 2009
UEFA.com users' Team of the Year: 2013
©UEFA.com 1998-2016. All rights reserved.