Clubs: Kashima Antlers, FC Schalke 04
• An adventurous right-back, Uchida joined leading Japanese club Kashima Antlers from Shimizu Higashi High School in 2006.
• Took little time to become a first-team regular and went on to star in the Kashima side that won the J-League three seasons running from 2007-09; named in the division's all-star team in 2008 and 2009.
• Gained international recognition at an early age, playing in the 2007 FIFA U-20 World Cup in Canada and the 2008 Olympics in Beijing.
• Made his senior international debut on 26 January 2008 in the first match of Takeshi Okada's second spell in charge, against Chile, and made 11 appearances in 2010 FIFA World Cup qualifying – but none at the finals in South Africa, where he was an unused squad member.
• Signed a three-year contract with Schalke during the World Cup finals and quickly established himself as the club's regular right-back, making 11 appearances in the UEFA Champions League as the side made it to the semi-finals, only to be defeated by Manchester United FC.
• Won the Asian Cup with Japan in 2011, starting in the final victory against Australia, and was again a regular for the Gelsenkirchen side throughout the 2011/12 season, helping the side to the quarter-finals of the UEFA Europa League.
• Scored his first Bundesliga strike the following campaign, helping the club finish fourth and once again qualify for the UEFA Champions League, and started the 2013/14 group stage campaign with the opening goal in the 3-0 home win against FC Steaua Bucureşti.
©UEFA.com 1998-2013. All rights reserved.