Clubs: FC Schalke 04
• Born in Bochum to a Cameroonian father and German mother, Matip came up through the youth ranks at Schalke, having joined the club at the age of nine.
• Enjoyed a memorable Bundesliga debut, scoring the equaliser in a 1-1 draw against FC Bayern München on 7 November 2009.
• Became a regular in the Schalke midfield during the remainder of 2009/10, making a total of 20 Bundesliga appearances and adding two further goals – against 1. FC Köln and Eintracht Frankfurt.
• Opted to represent Cameroon, rather than Germany, at international level, making his debut in a March 2010 friendly against Italy (0-0 in Monaco) – a day after signing a new contract with Schalke. Went on to represent the Indomitable Lions at the FIFA World Cup in South Africa, making one appearance, in the opening game against Japan (0-1).
• Made one start – in a 2-0 home win against SL Benfica – and three substitute appearances in the 2010/11 UEFA Champions League group stage.
©UEFA.com 1998-2013. All rights reserved.