Clubs: Maidstone United FC, Fulham FC, Manchester United FC
• His displays in the centre of defence for Maidstone caught the eye of Fulham, who moved quickly to sign him in June 2008 on a three-year deal; promoted to the first team for the final Premier League game of 2008/09, featuring as a late substitute against Everton FC (0-2).
• A first start soon followed, in a 1-1 draw away to PFC CSKA Sofia on Matchday 1 of the 2009/10 UEFA Europa League; made four appearances in the competition – all in the group stage – as Fulham reached the final in Hamburg.
• A month after his first league start, during which he scored a decisive own goal versus Chelsea FC on 28 December 2009 (1-2), he agreed terms with Manchester United on a reported €12m transfer to Old Trafford but remained with Fulham until the end of the campaign.
• Played a key role in helping England qualify for the 2011 UEFA European Under-21 Championship finals in Denmark, scoring the winner in the first leg of the play-off against Romania (2-1) in October 2010; called into the senior squad for the first time for a friendly with France a month later but was unused, before making his debut in a UEFA EURO 2012 qualifier against Bulgaria on 2 September 2011.
• Featured in nine UEFA Champions League matches in 2010/11 as United reached the final, and 16 in the club's Premier League title-winning campaign.
• Appeared 15 times in the Premier League as United reclaimed the title in 2012/13.
UEFA Champions League: runner-up 2011
©UEFA.com 1998-2016. All rights reserved.