UEFA European Championship: winner 2012
UEFA EURO 2012: Team of the Tournament
• Played youth football for FC Barcelona but joined Valencia's B team in 2007; had a season-long loan at Club Gimnàstic de Tarragona, where, as a left-sided midfielder, he scored four goals in 35 matches.
• Returned to Valencia for 2009/10 and made his debut in a 4-2 win at Real Valladolid CF, scored his first Liga goal during a 3-2 defeat by RCD Mallorca and ended the campaign with 15 appearances, most of them as a left-back.
• Made his European bow in a UEFA Europa League group game against LOSC Lille Métropole in September 2009 and started each of the last two UEFA Champions League group games − at home to Bursaspor, away to Manchester United FC − in 2010/11.
• Made his international debut against Scotland in Spain's final UEFA EURO 2012 qualifier in October 2011; scored his first European goal the following April in Valencia's 5-2 aggregate victory against AZ Alkmaar in the UEFA Europa League quarter-final, before losing to Club Atlético de Madrid in the last four.
• Played every match at left-back as Spain retained their European title in Poland and Ukraine; earned a €14m move to back to Barcelona, signing a five-year deal at Camp Nou.
©UEFA.com 1998-2013. All rights reserved.