Clubs: CA Boca Juniors, Valencia CF, Club Atlético de Madrid (loan)
• Left his home town of Rosario to launch his career in Buenos Aires with Boca Juniors; hailed as a top-class midfielder at an early age and made his debut against CA Banfield (4-0) in February 2007 before winning the FIFA U-20 World Cup with Argentina later in the year.
• Had made 28 league appearances for Boca when Valencia lured him to Spain in January 2008 for €18m on a five-and-a-half year contract; made his Liga debut against Atlético (0-1) that month and won his first senior cap for Argentina in June before going on to claim Olympic gold in Beijing.
• Dispatched on loan to Atlético after just half a season at Mestalla, he made his UEFA Champions League debut against PSV Eindhoven on Matchday 1 (3-0) but was primarily a substitute during that 2008/09 campaign, making just five Liga starts and scoring one goal.
• Returned to Valencia for the 2009/10 season, during which he established himself as a pivotal figure in midfield, making 36 appearances as the club finished third in the Liga.
• Injury restricted him to just two outings in the 2010/11 UEFA Champions League group stage – at home to Rangers FC (3-0) and away to Manchester United FC (1-1).
©UEFA.com 1998-2015. All rights reserved.