Clubs: Sport Club Corinthians Alagoano, Clube de Regatas Brasil, TSG 1899 Hoffenheim, FC Bayern München
• Comfortable at the back or as a defensive midfielder, Luiz Gustavo had played a handful of matches in the Brazilian second tier when Hoffenheim − then in the 2. Bundesliga − secured his signature in August 2007.
• Initially a loan move, the deal became permanent at the end of a 2007/08 season in which he made 27 league appearances as Hoffenheim won promotion to the top flight as runners-up to VfL Borussia Mönchengladbach.
• Prominent again in 2008/09 as Hoffenheim took the Bundesliga by storm, leading the way for over half of the season before falling away and finishing seventh. Scored his first goals in German football during the 2010/11 campaign, his last effort for Hoffenheim coming on his 99th and final league appearance for the club − in a 2-2 draw with VfL Wolfsburg on 18 December 2010.
• Joined Bayern in early January 2011 for a reported fee of €15m, making his debut as a substitute against Wolfsburg in the first match after the winter break.
• Came on for the final minute of Bayern's victory against Borussia Dortmund in the 2013 UEFA Champions League final, having not been in the squad for the showpiece 12 months earlier on home turf versus Chelsea FC.
UEFA Champions League: runner-up 2012; winner 2013
©UEFA.com 1998-2017. All rights reserved.