The official website for European football

Monaco duo missing for Madrid

Published: Monday 29 March 2004, 16.26CET
AS Monaco FC's Sébastien Squillaci and Akis Zikos have been ruled out of the return against Real Madrid CF.
Published: Monday 29 March 2004, 16.26CET

Monaco duo missing for Madrid

AS Monaco FC's Sébastien Squillaci and Akis Zikos have been ruled out of the return against Real Madrid CF.

AS Monaco FC will be without Sébastien Squillaci and Akis Zikos for the return leg of their UEFA Champions League quarter-final tie against Real Madrid CF next week.

Injury recurrence
Central defender Squillaci and midfield player Zikos both picked up injuries in the 1-0 Ligue 1 victory at Le Mans UC 72 on Saturday. The 23-year-old Squillaci, who scored the opening goal in the 4-2 first-leg defeat in Madrid, will be out for a month after suffering a recurrence of a thigh injury which previously sidelined him for five weeks.

Torn muscle
"The player had a scan this morning which revealed a torn muscle in his left thigh," said club doctor Eric Buracchi on Sunday. "He will be out of action for one month." Meanwhile, the 29-year-old Greek international Zikos has a pulled hamstring and has been told to rest for ten-15 days.

Last updated: 29/03/04 15.08CET

Related information

Team profiles

http://www.uefa.com/news/newsid=160905.html#monaco+missing+madrid

UEFA.com features

UEFA’s educational programme aims to look after tomorrow’s stars
  • UEFA’s educational programme aims to look after tomorrow’s stars
  • Youth League referees taking a major step
  • Ex-England defender Ugo Ehiogu dies aged 44
  • 'Let us not be afraid' - Aleksander Čeferin
  • Assistant referees train in Malaga
  • The long and the shirt of it...
  • Facing challenges and embracing change - Aleksander Čeferin
  • Discover UEFA's competitions
  • European legends join UEFA as football advisors
  • Women's game in UEFA Direct spotlight
1 of 10