Clubs: Cerezo Osaka, Borussia Dortmund, Manchester United FC
• Kagawa was born in the suburbs of Kobe, Japan, and joined J. League Division 1 club Cerezo Osaka at the age of 17.
• Endured relegation to J. League Division 2 shortly after his arrival and spent the next three years developing his talent as a goalscoring attacking midfielder; was the championship's top scorer with 27 goals in 44 appearances in 2009 as Cerezo Osaka won promotion to Division 1 as runners-up.
• Maintained his impressive strike rate in the top flight – seven goals in 11 games – before signing a three-year contract with Dortmund in July 2010.
• Played for Japan at the 2007 FIFA U-20 World Cup in Canada and the 2008 Olympic Games but missed out on the senior squad for the 2010 FIFA World Cup in South Africa.
• A revelation for Dortmund in the first half of the 2010/11 season with eight goals in 17 Bundesliga appearances − including two in a 3-1 win at local rivals FC Schalke 04 − he fractured his right foot while competing at the AFC Asian Cup in January 2011, the injury coming in the semi-final against Korea Republic after he had struck twice in the last eight versus hosts Qatar.
• Left Dortmund after winning two Bundesliga titles and one German Cup, signing for Manchester United FC in the summer of 2012, winning the Premier League title in his first season in England.
©UEFA.com 1998-2016. All rights reserved.