Clubs: Sunderland AFC, Coventry City FC (loan), Liverpool FC
• Joined home-town club Sunderland AFC as a youth but did not make his first-team breakthrough until after a three-month loan spell with Coventry City FC in early 2009.
• Became an increasing influence in the Sunderland midfield over the next two seasons, claiming the club's young player of the year award at the end of each campaign, the second of which brought him 37 Premier League starts and three goals.
• Scored a vital play-off goal for England U21s against Romania to help secure the team's passage to 2011 European finals; played all three games in Denmark and was elevated to captain at the start of the next qualifying campaign.
• Joined Liverpool for a £20m fee in June 2011, making his debut against former club Sunderland in a 1-1 draw at Anfield; went on to become a regular in midfield as the Merseysiders finished a disappointing eighth in the Premier League but did win the League Cup and earn runners-up medal in the FA Cup.
• First capped as a senior England international by Fabio Capello while still at Sunderland – in a November 2010 friendly against France at Wembley (1-2) – but had to wait 18 months for his second cap, against Norway in Oslo in a pre-UEFA EURO 2012 friendly after being brought into England's UEFA EURO 2012 squad as a late replacement for the injured Frank Lampard.
• Led England as captain at the U21 finals in 2013 but enjoyed a disappointing campaign as the country lost all three matches.
©UEFA.com 1998-2014. All rights reserved.