Clubs: CA Independiente, Manchester United FC, Villarreal CF, Club Atlético de Madrid, FC Internazionale Milano
UEFA Europa League: winner 2010
UEFA Super Cup: winner 2010
• Forlán was born in Montevideo into a footballing dynasty, his father having represented Uruguay at the 1974 FIFA World Cup and three other family members having played for Argentinian club Independiente, where he launched his professional career.
• Scored 37 league goals in 80 games for the Avellaneda club before joining United on a four-year contract in January 2002; failed to score in his first 26 appearances and mostly a fringe player as United won the 2002/03 Premier League and 2003/04 FA Cup.
• Switched to Villarreal in August 2004 and won the Pichichi trophy in his debut season as the Spanish Liga's top scorer, his 25 goals helping the club to reach the UEFA Champions League with a third-place finish; moved to Atlético after three productive years.
• Stunning second season at Atlético (2008/09) brought him the Pichichi for a second time – and outright victory in the race for the ESM Golden Shoe – with 32 goals in 33 games.
• Delivered the goods again for Atlético as they won the inaugural UEFA Europa League, scoring six times in the 2009/10 competition, including the semi-final decider against Liverpool FC at Anfield and both goals in the final against Fulham FC (2-1 after extra time).
• Ccompeted at the 2002 FIFA World Cup and two Copa América tournaments (2004, 2007) before scaling a career height with a Golden Ball-winning performance at the 2010 World Cup, his sustained excellence, punctuated by five goals, propelling Uruguay unexpectedly to the semi-finals in South Africa.
• Enjoyed more international success 12 months later at the 2011 Copa América, scoring two goals in the final against Paraguay (3-0) as the Celeste won the competition for a record 15th time.
• Settled seamlessly into life in Italy with a debut goal in a 4-3 defeat by US Città di Palermo on 11 September following a €5m transfer to Inter on transfer deadline day.
©UEFA.com 1998-2016. All rights reserved.