Date of birth: 21 November 1975
Playing career: SV Edenkoben
Coaching career: FC Bayern München (youth), FC Ingolstadt 04 (assistant), FC Basel 1893 (assistant, head coach)
• Had a low-key playing career, making several third-division appearances for Edenkoben but admitted he lacked application at the time; an injury prompted him to switch his attentions to university, where he studied sports science.
• Was a youth coach at Bayern for nine years, meeting Thorsten Fink as the latter spent the final years of his playing career with the club's B team; the pair got to know each other better from 2005 onwards during frequent trips to Cologne, where they both attended the same coach licence course.
• In January 2008 Fink asked Vogel to become his assistant coach at third division Ingolstadt; five months later the team won promotion to the 2. Bundesliga, but both were released towards the end of 2008/09.
• A few weeks later Vogel and Fink were on holiday together in Turkey when they learned of Basel's interest; initially said that landing the job would be like winning the lottery and on 9 June 2009 they signed the contract at the Swiss club.
• Proved an immediate success, winning the double in the first season and landing another Super League title in 2011. Vogel was in charge of coordinating training sessions and video analysis of future opponents until October 2011, when Fink left for Hamburger SV and he stepped into the void at Basel.
©UEFA.com 1998-2013. All rights reserved.