Clubs: Paris Saint-Germain FC
• Born in Paris as one of seven children to parents of Senegalese descent, he joined PSG's youth academy at the age of 12, where he was converted from a striker to a defender.
• Made his senior debut the day after his 17th birthday in a UEFA Cup tie against AEK Athens FC and, remarkably, was handed the captaincy by coach Paul Le Guen for his Ligue 1 debut the following season against Valenciennes FC.
• Played the full 90 minutes of PSG's League Cup final win against RC Lens in 2008 and was given increased game time during the following campaign before cementing his place at the heart of the back line under new boss Antoine Kombouaré in 2009/10 and winning the Coupe de France.
• A French international in every age group from Under-16 to U21 level, he made his senior debut on 17 November 2010 when he appeared as a half-time substitute against England in a friendly at Wembley.
• Scored a career-best four goals as PSG finished fourth in the 2010/11 Ligue 1 season and was named young player of the year.
• Failed to make the France squad for UEFA EURO 2012 after helping PSG to a second-placed finish in 2011/12, but responded by helping his club to win a first French title since 1994 the following season, as well as helping the them to a UEFA Champions League quarter-final.
©UEFA.com 1998-2016. All rights reserved.