A young midfielder who has made over 50 appearances for the Czech Republic at youth and Under-21 level, Marcel Gecov broke into the senior squad at the start of the 2011/12 season following a transfer from FC Slovan Liberec to English Premier League club Fulham FC.
• Born in Prague, he joined SK Slavia Praha as a youngster but a potential first-team breakthrough in 2006/07 was deferred by a loan move to 1. Liga co-competitors SK Kladno.
• Left Slavia without playing a senior game, joining Liberec – after a further half-season loan at Kladno – in January 2008.
• Made slow but sure progress at Liberec, helping the club to a third-place finish and making his European debut in the UEFA Europa League third qualifying round against FC Vaduz in summer 2009.
• Started all five matches for the Czech Republic as they finished fourth at the 2011 UEFA European Under-21 Championship in Denmark and was named in UEFA's official Team of the Tournament.
• On the strength of his displays in Denmark he was signed by Fulham later that summer on a two-year contract but did not make his Premier League debut until December, as an 89th-minute substitute in a 1-0 defeat of Liverpool FC; his senior international bow came just after his arrival at Craven Cottage, in a 3-0 friendly defeat by Norway in Oslo.
©UEFA.com 1998-2013. All rights reserved.