The top scorer in the 2010/11 1. Liga with 19 goals for FK Jablonec, David Lafata is set to retain the prize in 2011/12. A Czech Republic striker with ambitions of making his major tournament debut at UEFA EURO 2012, he struck twice on his debut against Wales back in September 2006.
• Joined local club SK České Budějovice as a schoolboy and worked his way into the first team, making his top-flight debut at 18 but suffering relegation in his second season, only to return, as 2. Liga champions, a year later.
• Scored 14 league goals for České Budějovice in 2003/04 to help the club finish eighth in the 1. Liga but was relegated the following term and moved to Greece to join Xanthi FC.
• Returned to his homeland after half a season, joining Jablonec, where his fine form earned him a first international cap, which he embellished by scoring two late goals after coming on as a 75th-minute substitute to give the Czech Republic a 2-1 win against Wales in their opening UEFA EURO 2008 qualifier.
• Off on his travels again in January 2007, joining FK Austria Wien, with whom he won the Austrian Cup a few months later, scoring in the final as the Violetten defeated SV Mattersburg 2-1.
• Rejoined Jablonec in 2008 and helped the club to finish runners-up in both domestic competitions in 2009/10; scored ten league goals in 2008/09, 11 in 2009/10 and a league-best tally of 19 in 2010/11, which he was set to outdo in 2011/12 having hit 18 by Christmas.
• In contrast he ended 2011 with 15 international caps but no further goals for his country since that decisive double on his debut over five years earlier.
©UEFA.com 1998-2016. All rights reserved.