A member of the Netherlands team that won the 2011 UEFA European Under-17 Championship, Jetro Willems has developed to such a degree that 12 months later he has been included in the senior squad for UEFA EURO 2012, ostensibly as a replacement at left-back for his injured PSV Eindhoven club-mate Erik Pieters.
• Came through the youth ranks at home-town team Sparta Rotterdam, making his senior debut at 17 in an Eerste Divisie (second level) match against Go Ahead Eagles in January 2011.
• Ended the 2010/11 campaign with 13 league appearances and added another three at the start of the following season before PSV recruited him as an understudy to Pieters.
• Appeared in all five games for the Netherlands as they won the 2011 European U17 title in Serbia, defeating Germany 5-2 in the final.
• Became the youngest Dutchman to represent a Dutch club in UEFA competition when he started a UEFA Europa League game against Hapoel Tel-Aviv FC on 3 November 2011 – ten days after making his Eredivisie debut, against Vitesse; was also the youngest goalscorer in the 2011/12 Eredivisie when he opened his PSV account on 22 April 2012 in a 2-1 defeat of NEC Nijmegen.
• Ended the 2011/12 campaign with 20 Eredivisie appearances, plus another six in the UEFA Europa League, and made his senior international debut on 26 May 2012 in a 2-1 home defeat by Bulgaria.
UEFA European Under-17 Championship: winner 2011
©UEFA.com 1998-2014. All rights reserved.