Included in Greece's UEFA EURO 2012 squad despite a low-key 2011/12 season in which he played in the second divisions of Germany and France, Giorgos Tzavellas is an accomplished left-back who made his name in his homeland with Panionios GSS.
• Born in Athens, he started his career on the holiday island of Corfu with Kerkyra FC, making 13 appearances in the 2006/07 Super League and scoring one goal – in a 4-3 away win against fellow islanders OFI Crete FC.
• Relegated with Kerkyra FC, he stayed on to play for the club in the second division but moved back to Athens in summer 2008 to join Panionios.
• A promising first campaign was followed by an excellent second, which earned him recognition by Greece boss Otto Rehhagel – though no first cap – and an end-of-season transfer to German club Eintracht Frankfurt.
• Made 25 Bundesliga starts for Eintracht, scoring one goal, but was unable to save the team from relegation; remained with them for half a season in the second division before switching in January to Ligue 2 outfit AS Monaco FC.
• Won his first cap for Greece in a UEFA EURO 2012 qualifier against Croatia in Zagreb on 7 September 2010 (0-0) and followed that up with further qualifying appearances against Latvia (1-0) and Malta (1-0).
©UEFA.com 1998-2013. All rights reserved.