UEFA European Championship: runner-up 2012
• Born in the textile town of Prato, close to Florence, he launched his career in lower-league Italian football with AC Prato but had several spells on loan at other clubs until he left his home-town team for good in 2007, joining Serie A side AS Livorno Calcio
• Scored four goals in his debut Serie A campaign but suffered relegation and remained to help the Amaranto win an immediate promotion back to the top flight – via the play-offs – the following season, in which he registered 20 goals in all competitions.
• Signed by compatriot Gianfranco Zola for West Ham United FC in August 2009; scored the first of seven Premier League goals the following month – a penalty in a 3-2 home defeat by Liverpool FC.
• Returned to Italy after one term in England, joining Brescia, but his six Serie A goals were insufficient to save the Rondinelle from relegation; remained a top-flight player by joining Bologna and went on to score eight times in 30 appearances to help Stefano Pioli's unsung team to a ninth-place finish.
• Awarded his first Azzurri cap in a November 2010 friendly against Romania in Klagenfurt, Austria, and added three more caps to his tally as his substitute appearances helped Italy to reach the final of UEFA EURO 2012.
©UEFA.com 1998-2013. All rights reserved.