Date of birth: 17 September 1968
Playing career: FC Barcelona B, UE Figueres, RC Celta de Vigo, CD Badajoz, RCD Mallorca, UE Lleida, Elche CF, UDA Gramanet
Coaching career: FC Barcelona (Cadet B), FC Palafrugell, Barcelona B (assistant), Barcelona
• Began his footballing career in Barcelona's youth section, joining La Masia in 1984 and sharing a dressing room with the likes of Albert Ferrer, Guillermo Amor, Carles Busquets and Josep Guardiola, whom he would later assist and succeed as coach of the Blaugrana.
• Only made three friendly appearances for Barcelona's senior side in 1988/89, dropping down to the second division for three seasons before eventually reaching the top flight with RC Celta de Vigo.
• Began coaching career with Barcelona's Cadet B team, working with Gerard Piqué, Cesc Fàbregas and Lionel Messi.
• Was asked by Guardiola to join him as an assistant with Barça's B team and together they helped earn promotion to the Spanish third division. Shortly afterwards Vilanova joined his former team-mate in the senior set-up, where he would go on to share in 14 trophies over a four-year period.
• After Guardiola's resignation in summer 2012, was promoted to head coach. He began his reign with a 5-1 win over Real Sociedad de Fútbol and ended the season with the Spanish Liga title. It was not an easy first year, though, as he required a break for treatment after a relapse of a cancer in the salivary gland, returning for the UEFA Champions League quarter-final victory against Paris Saint-Germain FC in April 2013.
©UEFA.com 1998-2013. All rights reserved.