Galatasaray AŞ will be out to avenge their 1-0 matchday one loss at Old Trafford when they host Group H winners Manchester United FC.
• With United assured top spot after four wins, Galatasaray can build on their first victory – at CFR 1907 Cluj last time out – and strengthen their hold on second place.
• Galatasaray beat United on away goals in the 1993/94 second round after a 3-3 aggregate draw. All the scoring came in the Old Trafford first leg as Bryan Robson and Reinhard Stumpf's own goal put United ahead, before Galatasaray replied through Arif Erdem, Steve Bruce's own goal and Kubilay Türkyilmaz. Eric Cantona made it 3-3 in the 80th minute for a home team including Ryan Giggs.
• Giggs and Mike Phelan, now United's assistant manager, played in the 0-0 draw in the second leg. Giggs featured again, with Paul Scholes on the bench, when the clubs played out another stalemate in Istanbul in the 1994/95 group stage. United won the return 4-0.
• The full lineups for that 0-0 draw on 28 September 1994 were:
Galatasaray: Staučė, Sedat Balkanlı, Bülent Korkmaz, Mert Korkmaz, Mapeza, Yusuf Tepekule, Tugay (Arif 46), Hamza, Türkyilmaz, Saffet Sancaklı (Osman Akyol 75), Hakan Şükür.
United: Schmeichel, May, Bruce, Pallister, Sharpe, Kanchelskis, Ince, Keane, Butt, Giggs (Parker 64), Hughes.
• Galatasaray have taken just a point from two Group H home fixtures to date and have not won at home in Europe in five games, since beating Panathinaikos FC 1-0 in the UEFA Europa League group stage in December 2009.
• Darren Fletcher scored when United prevailed 3-0 at Bursaspor in the 2010/11 group stage, their last visit to Turkey. Paul Scholes struck the only goal when they were last in Istanbul, beating Beşiktaş JK in the 2009/10 group stage. Their overall record in Turkey is W3 D2 L1.
• Galatasaray's last home encounter with Premier League opposition brought a 3-2 victory over Liverpool FC in 2006/07. Their record against English sides at the Ali Sami Yen Spor Kompleksi is W2 D3 L2.
• There have been five away victories in Group H, more than in any other section.
• As a Galatasaray player Fatih Terim suffered 3-1 home and away defeats by a West Bromwich Albion FC side led by future United manager Ron Atkinson in the 1979/80 UEFA Cup first round. Terim scored in the home game while Robson and Laurie Cunningham, later United players, struck in both legs for West Brom.
• As Turkey coach, Terim lost home and away to England in 1994 FIFA World Cup qualifying. His Galatasaray team suffered two reverses against Chelsea FC in the 1999/2000 UEFA Champions League first group stage, but beat Leeds United AFC in that season's UEFA Cup semi-finals and overcame Arsenal FC on penalties in the final.
• Emmanuel Eboué played with Robin van Persie at Arsenal from 2005 to 2011.
• Milan Baroš scored once in ten appearances against United with Liverpool FC, Aston Villa FC and Portsmouth FC. The only games that did not end in defeat were Liverpool's 2002/03 League Cup final win and Portsmouth's 1-0 FA Cup quarter-final success at Old Trafford in 2007/08.
• Albert Riera began his loan spell at Manchester City FC in 2006 with a 3-1 derby win against United. With Liverpool he won 4-1 at Old Trafford in 2008/09.
• Johan Elmander played for Bolton Wanderers FC from 2008 to 2011.
• David de Gea made his first European start in Club Atlético de Madrid's 1-1 first-leg draw against Galatasaray in the 2009/10 UEFA Europa League round of 32. De Gea's Atlético team-mates included Galatasaray's Tomáš Ujfaluši, who is not in their UEFA Champions League squad.
• Van Persie scored the Netherlands' opener in September's World Cup qualifying win against a Turkey team which included Semih Kaya, Hamit Altıntop, Umut Bulut and substitute Burak Yılmaz.
• Danny Welbeck hit the winner, Ashley Young also featuring, in England's 3-2 defeat of Elmander's Sweden at UEFA EURO 2012.
• Nani was Portugal's scorer in a 3-1 friendly defeat by Turkey in June. Umut struck twice for the visitors.
©UEFA.com 1998-2014. All rights reserved.