Clubs: Danubio FC, US Città di Palermo, SSC Napoli, Paris Saint-Germain FC
• Born in Uruguay's second largest city, Salto, the 19-year-old Cavani first came to international prominence at the 2007 South American Under-20 Championship in Paraguay where he ended as top-scorer with seven goals as he led his country to a third-placed finish behind Brazil and Argentina.
• US Città di Palermo won the race for his signature, signing the forward for a reported fee of €4.5m in January 2007. Marked Serie A debut with a remarkable volley against ACF Fiorentina.
• Dubbed 'El Matador', he vied with Amauri and Fabrizio Miccoli for a starting place with the Rosanero before the former left for Juventus. Struck up a partnership with Miccoli and went on to score 37 goals in 116 appearances for the club.
• Swapped Sicily for Naples in July 2010 for a fee of €17m and made an immediate impact at the Stadio San Paolo, scoring 33 times in all competitions in his first season and ending only behind Antonio Di Natale in the Serie A scoring charts. Napoli finished third, earning qualification to the UEFA Champions League.
• Helped Uruguay to glory at the 2011 Copa América, coming off the bench in the 3-0 final victory against Paraguay. That marked the start of another excellent season for the Partenopei in which he scored on his UEFA Champions League debut against Manchester City FC and hit five goals in all as the side made it to the round of 16.
• Registered 23 Serie A goals and was top scorer in the Coppa Italia with five goals as Napoli won their first major trophy in 22 years. His penalty opened the scoring in the final, a 2-0 triumph against Juventus that subjected the Turin club to their only defeat of the season.
• A disappointed Olympic Games participant for first-round fallers Uruguay, he began the new season with a flurry of goals for Napoli, including all four efforts in his side's 4-2 UEFA Europa League victory against FC Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk.
• Led the challenge as Napoli battled Juventus for the 2012/13 Serie A title, eventually ending second, but took the consolation of finishing as the league's top scorer with 29. Chelsea FC, Manchester City, Real Madrid CF and Paris Saint-Germain FC were all reported to be chasing his signature in the summer of 2013, with the French Ligue 1 champions eventually securing his services.
©UEFA.com 1998-2014. All rights reserved.