Clubs: CS Marítimo, FC Porto, Real Madrid CF
A gifted, tough-tackling Brazilian-born centre-back who can also operate as a holding midfielder, Pepe joined Real Madrid CF in 2007 and obtained Portuguese citizenship shortly afterwards. He appeared for his adoptive country at UEFA EURO 2008 and the 2010 FIFA World Cup and arrives at UEFA EURO 2012 following a title-winning campaign with the Merengues.
• Képler Laverán Lima Ferreira left Brazil for the island of Madeira as an 18-year-old, joining Portuguese top-flight club CS Marítimo, with whom he was a popular figure until transferring to FC Porto in 2004 − a year after a move to Sporting Clube de Portugal fell through.
• A difficult first season with the Dragons was followed by two title-winning campaigns − he scored a career-best four league goals during the latter − in which he became the team's defensive linchpin.
• Endured an injury-blighted start to his Madrid career after a €30m transfer in July 2007, but returned to help the Merengues to a crucial 1-0 win at FC Barcelona and featured prominently in the closing weeks of the title-winning campaign.
• His 2008/09 season ended prematurely when he received a ten-match ban following an altercation with Javier Casquero and Juan Ángel Albín in a 3-2 home win against Getafe CF.
• Sustained a right knee injury against Valencia CF in December 2009 which sidelined him until the following June, when he made his comeback in a friendly before the FIFA World Cup.
• Made his international debut in Portugal's last UEFA EURO 2008 qualifier − 0-0 against Finland − and impressed sufficiently at the finals in Austria/Switzerland to be included in the Team of the Tournament along with compatriot José Bosingwa.
• Helped Portugal to the semi-finals of UEFA EURO 2012, scoring a penalty in the shoot-out defeat to Spain, and was again named in the competition's Team of the Tournament.
UEFA EURO 2008: Team of the Tournament
UEFA EURO 2012: Team of the Tournament
European/South American Cup: winner 2004
©UEFA.com 1998-2014. All rights reserved.