Clubs: Antalyaspor, Fenerbahçe SK, FC Barcelona, Fenerbahçe SK, Beşiktaş JK
UEFA.com users' Team of the Year: 2002
• Undoubtedly the finest Turkish goalkeeper of all time, Rüştü reached a career peak at the 2002 FIFA World Cup, where he performed wonders to help Turkey surpass expectations and finish third. He also appeared in three UEFA European Championship final tournaments.
• Discovered by coach Fatih Terim at Antalyaspor, he joined Fenerbahçe in 1994 and went on to replace Engin Ipekoglu as No1 at club and international level, making his Turkey debut in a EURO '96 qualifier against Iceland on 12 October 1994.
• Won the league title with Fenerbahçe in 1995/96 before achieving his first major international exposure at EURO '96, where he was an ever-present; repeated the feat at UEFA EURO 2000, where Turkey reached the quarter-finals.
• Started all seven matches for Turkey at the 2002 World Cup, where his consistent excellence earned him a place in FIFA's All-Star Squad.
• Won further Süper Lig titles with Fenerbahçe in 2001, 2005 and 2007 and made a club-record 49 UEFA club competition appearances before a move to Istanbul rivals Beşiktaş JK in 2007.
• Became the second Turkish international to reach 100 caps (after Bülent Korkmaz), celebrating the landmark with a clean sheet in a 2-0 win against Albania on 26 March 2005.
• Understudy to Volkan Demirel at UEFA EURO 2008 but replaced his suspended team-mate for the quarter-final against Croatia, making a decisive save in the penalty shoot-out.
• Retired from the international arena after earning a record 118th cap in the UEFA EURO 2008 semi-final against Germany but returned for a one-minute farewell appearance in a FIFA World Cup qualifier against Armenia in October 2009.
• A double winner with Beşiktaş in 2009, he claimed the Turkish Cup again two years later, playing 120 minutes (plus penalty shoot-out) in the final against İstanbul BB SK, the day after his 38th birthday.
• Rüstu received a commemorative cap and medal from UEFA to mark his century of international appearances on 11 October 2011, before Turkey's 1-0 victory against Azerbaijan in UEFA European Championship qualifying. "To be remembered and not forgotten is a big honour," he said. "These presents will take pride of place in my house."
©UEFA.com 1998-2015. All rights reserved.