Clubs: CA San Lorenzo, Villarreal CF
• Born in Buenos Aires, Gonzalo made his name with San Lorenzo, where he made 56 league appearances from 2002 to 2004, scoring four goals.
• Followed his former San Lorenzo boss, Manuel Pellegrini, to Villarreal in the summer of 2004, becoming the Chilean coach's first signing for the club; played for Argentina at various youth levels and represented the seniors at the 2005 FIFA Confederations Cup.
• A regular starter, he helped Villarreal to the last four of the UEFA Champions League in their first campaign (2005/06) but missed both semi-finals against Arsenal FC with an ankle injury; serious knee ligament damage restricted his availability over the next two seasons.
• Returned to full fitness in 2008/09, forming a solid central defensive unit alongside Diego Godín and helping Villarreal to the UEFA Champions League quarter-finals, where their path to glory was ended again by Arsenal.
• Passed 150 Liga appearances for Villarreal during the 2010/11 season and scored the winner at home to Club Brugge KV on Matchday 2 of the UEFA Europa League group stage – his third European goal.
©UEFA.com 1998-2016. All rights reserved.