Reminiscent in appearance and playing style of the Czech Republic's Petr Čech, Rui Patrício looks set to be Portugal's first-choice goalkeeper at UEFA EURO 2012 after starting each of the last five qualifying matches. National team coach Paulo Bento was his former mentor at Sporting Clube de Portugal.
• Handed his opportunity at Sporting following the sale of Ricardo to Real Betis Balompié in 2007, he also played for Portugal at that year's FIFA U-20 World Cup in Canada.
• Having saved a penalty on his Liga debut against CS Marítimo in November 2006, he overcame the dual challenge of Tiago and Vladimir Stojković to become Sporting's No1 in the second half of the 2007/08 campaign; crowned the season with victory in the Portuguese Cup final, keeping a clean sheet as Sporting defeated FC Porto 2-0 in extra time.
• His UEFA Champions League debut, against Manchester United FC at Old Trafford on 27 November 2007, ended in heartbreak when compatriot Cristiano Ronaldo scored a last-minute free-kick as Sporting were beaten 2-1.
• An ever-present for Sporting in the Portuguese top flight during the 2009/10 and 2010/11 seasons, he made his 100th Liga appearance for the club on 12 March 2011 − in a 0-0 draw at Rio Ave FC.
• An unused squad member for Portugal at UEFA EURO 2008, he did not make his senior international debut until November 2010 – as a half-time substitute in a 4-0 win against world champions Spain.
©UEFA.com 1998-2013. All rights reserved.