Clubs: Grêmio Foot-ball Porto Alegrense, FC Shakhtar Donetsk
• Born in the south of Brazil, Douglas Costa joined Grêmio at the age of 12 and worked his way through the Porto Alegre club's youth ranks.
• Played only a minor role as Grêmio finished runners-up in the 2008 Brazilian Série A championship but came to prominence in helping Brazil win the South American Youth Championship in early 2009.
• A runner-up with Brazil at the 2009 FIFA U-20 World Cup in Egypt, he left Grêmio for €6m to further swell the large Brazilian contingent at Shakhtar in January 2010.
• Made an eye-catching debut for Shakhtar in a UEFA Europa League round of 32 tie against Fulham FC (1-2) at Craven Cottage and scored five league goals in his first half-season despite being fielded mostly as a substitute.
• Appeared in all six of Shakhtar's 2010/11 UEFA Champions League group games (four starts), scoring his first goal in the competition from the penalty spot in a 3-0 win at SC Braga on Matchday 2.
• Won the domestic league and cup double in three consecutive seasons with Shakhtar, from 2010/11 to 2012/13, and played in five of the club's games, scoring once, in their run to the UEFA Champions League round of 16 in 2012/13.
©UEFA.com 1998-2014. All rights reserved.