Clubs: Leeds United AFC, Liverpool FC, Sheffield Wednesday FC (loan), Charlton Athletic FC (loan), Aston Villa FC (loan), West Bromwich Albion FC, Bursaspor, Wigan Athletic FC
• Born in Whitehaven, he joined the Leeds United AFC academy and made three Premier League appearances for the club before they lost their top-flight place in 2004.
• Moved to Liverpool FC but despite making waves with England U21s he failed to dislodge Jerzy Dudek from the No1 slot; he did, however, collect a UEFA Champions League winners' medal as an unused substitute in the epic 2005 final against AC Milan in Istanbul.
• After a short spell on loan to Sheffield Wednesday FC he spent the whole of the 2006/07 campaign with Charlton Athletic FC and made 36 top-flight appearances but could not save the south London club from relegation; with Pepe Reina firmly established at Anfield, he was farmed out again in 2007/08, to Aston Villa FC.
• An unused 2006 FIFA World Cup squad member, he played all four matches at the 2007 UEFA European U21 Championship and was handed his senior debut in a friendly against Austria later that year; the following week he was selected by Steve McClaren for an all-important UEFA EURO 2008 qualifier at Wembley but spilled a shot from Niko Kranjčar which gave Croatia the lead in a game England lost 3-2.
• Joined West Brom on a four-year contract in July 2008; relegation was followed by promotion and after 110 league appearances he left in summer 2011 for Bursaspor.
• Good form in the Turkish Süper Lig earned him a recall for England and 45 minutes of action in a November 2011 friendly against Sweden; helped the club to fourth and the UEFA Europa League during the 2012/13 but left in the summer to move back to England with Wigan, helping the Latics to the FA Cup semi-finals and a play-off place.
UEFA Champions League: winner 2005
UEFA Super Cup: winner 2005
©UEFA.com 1998-2016. All rights reserved.