Clubs: Panathinaikos FC, RCD Mallorca, AEK Athens FC, Portsmouth FC, AC Arles-Avignon
UEFA European Championship: winner 2004
UEFA European Under-21 Championship: runner-up 1998
• Born in Karditsa in central Greece, Basinas launched his professional career in Athens with Panathinaikos, moving out of defence to establish himself as a holding midfielder.
• Won his maiden cap for Greece in an August 1999 friendly against El Salvador in Kavala, then scored his first international goal two days later – against the same opposition and at the same venue.
• Increased his profile internationally by starring for Panathinaikos in the 2000/01 and 2001/02 UEFA Champions League, playing 12 matches and scoring two goals in each campaign and reaching the quarter-finals of the latter, in which he scored the winning penalty in the first leg at home to FC Barcelona.
• Became a pivotal member of the Greek national side under Otto Rehhagel, shining in the team's extraordinary UEFA EURO 2004 triumph in Portugal, where he scored a penalty in the opening 2-1 triumph over the hosts, then provided the assist for Angelos Charisteas's winning goal against the same opponents in the final.
• Over the next four years he missed just one competitive international for his country and captained the side at UEFA EURO 2008.
• A Greek double winner in 2003/04, he left Panathinaikos a year later for Spanish club Mallorca, where he became a key midfielder.
• In July 2008 he signed a three-year contract with AEK but left after just six months for Portsmouth.
• While at Pompey he won his 100th cap for Greece in a 2010 FIFA World Cup qualifier against Israel; it proved to be his final appearance.
• Following Portsmouth's relegation he had a brief spell in France with Ligue 1 newcomers Arles before returning to Greece to see out his career in the lower leagues.
• Basinas received a commemorative cap and medal from UEFA to mark his century of international appearances on 7 October 2011, before Greece's 2-0 victory against Croatia in UEFA European Championship qualifying.
• "It's a great honour for me to be presented with this award by UEFA," he said. "It's a tough task to reach 100 caps with the national team and I want to thank my family for always standing by my side."
©UEFA.com 1998-2013. All rights reserved.