This content is streamed in such a way that it is protected and available only in a Flash format. Your device seems not to be compatible with our Flash video player.
Date of birth: 31 December 1941
Playing career: Queen's Park FC, Saint Johnstone FC, Dunfermline Athletic FC, Rangers FC, Falkirk FC (player-coach), Ayr United FC
Coaching career: East Stirlingshire FC, Saint Mirren FC, Aberdeen FC, Manchester United FC
• Shot to prominence at Aberdeen, breaking the big Glasgow clubs' 14-year stranglehold on the Scottish title in 1980.
• Claimed a first continental title three years later when the Dons beat Real Madrid CF to lift the European Cup Winners' Cup – earning him the freedom of the City of Aberdeen.
• Replaced Ron Atkinson at Old Trafford in November 1986, and ended United's 26-year wait for a league title in 1993. Has since added 12 more championships − including the Red Devils' record 19th English crown in 2010/11 − to a domestic collection which includes five FA Cups and four League Cups.
• Guided United to European Cup Winners' Cup glory with victory against FC Barcelona in 1991, though his greatest achievements are the UEFA Champions League triumphs of 1999 and 2008. Also reached UEFA Champions League finals in 2009 and 2011, losing to Barça on each occasion.
• Knighted in June 1999, Sir Alex, head of the UEFA Coaches Panel, announced on 8 May 2013 that he will retire at the end of that season after 26 years in charge at Old Trafford.
©UEFA.com 1998-2014. All rights reserved.