Date of birth: 9 August 1947
Playing career: Crystal Palace FC, Tonbridge Angels FC, Gravesend and Northfleet FC, Maidstone United FC, Berea Park FC
Coaching career: Halmstads BK, Bristol City FC, IK Oddevold, Örebro SK, Malmö FF, Neuchâtel Xamax FC, Switzerland, FC Internazionale Milano (twice), Blackburn Rovers FC, Grasshopper Club, FC København, Udinese Calcio, United Arab Emirates, Viking FK, Finland, Fulham FC, Liverpool FC, West Bromwich Albion FC, England
• After he spent most of his playing days in the English non-league system, Hodgson's coaching career spanning eight countries began with Halmstad. He guided the Swedish club to their first-ever Allsvenskan titles in 1976 and 1979; then guided Malmö to top of the table for five years in a row, although the play-off system then used meant they were champions only twice in that time.
• A period at Xamax followed before the first of four forays into international management. Hodgson's Switzerland qualified for the 1994 FIFA World Cup – their first in 28 years – and then EURO '96 but the coach departed for Inter before the latter tournament.
• After taking the Nerazzurri to the 1997 UEFA Cup final, Hodgson had spells in England, Switzerland, Denmark, Italy, the UAE, Norway and Finland, as well as a short stint back at Inter as technical director.
• He returned to England and relegation-threatened Fulham in 2007/08, helping them to safety in his first term, a club-best seventh in the Premier League in his second and then the 2010 UEFA Europa League final. The 2-1 extra-time defeat by Club Atlético de Madrid proved his last game with the Cottagers, before he accepted the reins at Liverpool.
• He left Anfield after 31 matches in charge, the shortest reign in Liverpool history, yet within five weeks was at West Brom, whom he steered to a then Premier League high of 11th. He was appointed England manager on 1 May 2012 and took them to the quarter-finals of UEFA EURO 2012 and the 2014 World Cup, where they failed to get out of the group stage.
©UEFA.com 1998-2014. All rights reserved.