A solid, imposing central defender who poses a major aerial threat at set-pieces, Michaël Ciani was recruited by reigning French champions FC Girondins de Bordeaux in 2009 after three seasons in Ligue 1 with Brittany club FC Lorient.
• Born and bred in Paris, with ancestors from Guadeloupe, Ciani's first professional contract was in Belgium, with R. Charleroi SC. His progress there earned him a call-up to France's Under-21 side, with whom he won the 2004 Toulon Tournament.
• Returned to France with AJ Auxerre but did not play for first team and revived career with impressive 2005/06 season in Ligue 2 on loan to CS Sedan Ardennes, helping the club gain promotion.
• Farmed out on loan again by Auxerre in 2006/07, to Lorient, where he performed sufficiently well to earn a permanent move.
• Made 98 appearances in three Ligue 1 campaigns with Lorient, scoring four goals in his final season, including one against Bordeaux, for whom he signed a four-year contract in July 2009.
• Made UEFA Champions League debut with Les Marine et Blanc and scored winner in home game against Maccabi Haifa FC (1-0) before finding the net at both ends in next fixture at home to FC Bayern München (2-1).
Did you know?
Ciani is a big fan of rap music.
©UEFA.com 1998-2017. All rights reserved.