Clubs: FC Bayern München
• Came through the youth set-up at Bayern, having rejected a potential alternative career as a downhill skier, and made his debut in a 2002/03 UEFA Champions League group game against RC Lens.
• First capped by Germany on the eve of UEFA EURO 2004, he went on to feature in all but three of Jürgen Klinsmann's 34 matches as coach, starring in the 2005 FIFA Confederations Cup and 2006 FIFA World Cup, where he scored twice in the third-place play-off victory against Portugal. Also on target twice at UEFA EURO 2008 − in the quarter-final against Portugal and the semi-final versus Turkey.
• Won the double with Bayern for the fifth time in 2009/10 − having previously achieved the feat in 2002/03, 2004/05, 2005/06 and 2007/08 − his first season as a central midfielder after being switched from the flanks by Louis van Gaal.
• Scored in the 2010 German Cup final, a 4-0 defeat of SV Werder Bremen, but was on the losing team a week later in the UEFA Champions League showpiece against FC Internazionale Milano and again in 2012 in Bayern's 'home' final versus Chelsea FC.
• Helped Germany to third place again at the 2010 World Cup and voted into the tournament's All-Star Team; official man of the match in the 4-0 quarter-final defeat of Argentina.
• A key player in Bayern's 2012/13 treble-winning campaign, playing from start to finish in the German Cup and UEFA Champions League finals and appearing in 28 of 34 Bundesliga matches.
UEFA European Championship: runner-up 2008
UEFA Champions League: runner-up 2010, 2012; winner 2013
©UEFA.com 1998-2016. All rights reserved.