Clubs: Grêmio Foot-ball Porto Alegrense, FC Porto, Manchester United FC
UEFA Champions League: winner 2008, runner-up 2009, 2011
• Born in Porto Alegre, he joined local club Grêmio, but was swiftly recruited by Porto, who brought him to Portugal in December 2005 while he was still only 17.
• Won the Golden Ball as player of the tournament at the 2005 FIFA U-17 World Cup, where Brazil finished runners-up, and made his senior debut for the Seleção in the 2007 Copa América, which Brazil won; also competed at the 2008 Olympic Games.
• Made a blistering start to his first full season at Porto (2006/07) but broke his leg against SL Benfica and missed five months of action; won two Portuguese league titles, however, before leaving for United in May 2007.
• Not a regular in United's first XI but made 24 Premier League appearances and nine in the UEFA Champions League as the Red Devils became champions of England and Europe; came on in the last minute of the Moscow final against Chelsea FC and scored a penalty in the shoot-out.
• Made it four domestic championship wins in as many seasons in Europe as United retained the Premier League title in 2008/09; substituted at half-time in the UEFA Champions League final defeat by FC Barcelona in Rome.
• Struck his first European goal in a 1-1 draw with Valencia CF on Matchday 6 of the 2010/11 UEFA Champions League which ensured United of first place in their group; added two more in the knockout stage, both against FC Schalke 04 in the semi-final second leg.
©UEFA.com 1998-2013. All rights reserved.