Clubs: Nagoya Grampus Eight, VVV-Venlo, PFC CSKA Moskva
• Played three seasons in the J. League for Grampus Eight, scoring 11 goals in 90 appearances, before leaving to join VVV midway through the 2007/08 Eredivisie campaign.
• Relegated in his first season at VVV but proved an inspirational figure as they made an immediate return to the top flight as Eerste Divise champions, scoring 16 goals and providing 13 assists in 36 appearances.
• Started the 2009/10 Eredivisie campaign with a bang, scoring five goals in VVV's first four games – all ending in draws, including 3-3 at PSV Eindhoven.
• Joined CSKA on a four-year deal in January 2010, making his debut in a UEFA Champions League round of 16 tie against Sevilla FC; scored the winner in the second leg with a long-range free-kick.
• Struck on his Russian Premier-Liga debut as CSKA defeated FC Amkar Perm 1-0 on the opening day of the 2010 season, and also on target in the club's 100th match in UEFA competition, a 3-1 home win against US Città di Palermo on 4 November 2010.
• Starred for Japan at the 2010 FIFA World Cup, scoring in victories against Cameroon (1-0) and Denmark (3-1); also converted a penalty in the last 16 shoot-out defeat by Paraguay.
• Picked up first silverware with CSKA, coming on as substitute in 2011 Russian Cup final against FC Alania Vladikavkaz.
• A key member of the side which claimed the Russian league and cup double in 2012/13, he scored twice in CSKA's 3-0 Super Cup success against FC Zenit St Petersburg.
©UEFA.com 1998-2015. All rights reserved.