Clubs: AFC Ajax, UC Sampdoria, Real Madrid CF, FC Internazionale Milano, AC Milan
UEFA Champions League: winner 1995, 1998, 2003, 2007, runner-up 2005
UEFA Super Cup: 2003, 2007
UEFA Club Midfielder of the Year: 2007
UEFA.com users' Team of the Year: 2002, 2007
• Grew up at Ajax, winning the first of four UEFA Champions League titles before moving abroad, to Sampdoria, while still a teenager.
• After a season with the Blucerchiati he moved to Madrid, where he claimed Europe's top club competition again in 1998; also played in the early stages of the Merengues' victorious 1999/2000 campaign before moving in mid-season to Inter.
• Joined Milan from Inter in 2002, winning Serie A in 2004, adding to previous domestic titles in the Netherlands (1994, 1995) and Spain (1997).
• Became the first player to win the UEFA Champions League with three different clubs in 2003 and lifted the trophy for a fourth time in 2007, before helping Milan claim the FIFA Club World Cup the following December.
• Scored four goals in his first seven internationals for the Netherlands, including one on his debut in December 1994 against Luxembourg; represented the Oranje at three UEFA European Championships (1996, 2000, 2004) and one FIFA World Cup (1998) but withdrew belatedly from the UEFA EURO 2008 squad, thus ending his international career with 87 caps.
• Became only the second player, after former team-mate Paolo Maldini, to pass 150 UEFA club competition appearances as the Rossoneri advanced to the knockout phase of the 2010/11 UEFA Champions League.
©UEFA.com 1998-2014. All rights reserved.