Clubs: S.S. Lazio, AC Milan
UEFA European Championship: runner-up 2000
UEFA Champions League: winner 2003, 2007, runner-up 2005
UEFA Super Cup: 2003, 2007
UEFA Cup Winners' Cup: 1999
UEFA European Under-21 Championship: 1996
UEFA.com users' Team of the Year: 2002, 2003, 2004, 2007
• Born in Rome to a Lazio-supporting father, he rejected an approach from rivals AS Roma before joining Lazio's youth academy, where he developed into a defender worthy of call-ups to Italy's Under-15 and Under-16 teams.
• Made his Serie A debut in March 1994 and was appointed club captain three years later; skippered Lazio to eight trophies, including the last UEFA Cup Winners' Cup, in 1999, and a Serie A/Coppa Italia double in 2000.
• A winner of the 1996 UEFA European Under-21 Championship, he made his senior debut later that year and went on to play in six successive major tournaments, the last of them at the 2006 FIFA World Cup, where he was injured early in the competition as Italy won the trophy for the fourth time; he withdrew his services a year later having won 78 caps.
• Made an expensive move to Milan in 2002 but proved value for money in helping the Rossoneri to UEFA Champions League glory in his first season and a Serie A triumph in his second.
• Returned from a shoulder injury to play a decisive role in another UEFA Champions League win in 2007, followed by FIFA Club World Cup success in Japan, where he scored a rare goal in the final against CA Boca Juniors (4-2).
• Missed virtually the whole of the 2008/09 season with a back injury but has since returned to play a prominent role at the heart of the Rossoneri defence.
©UEFA.com 1998-2016. All rights reserved.