Clubs: AC Cesena, Vicenza Calcio, AC Milan
UEFA European Championship: runner-up 2000
UEFA Champions League: winner 2003, 2007
UEFA Super Cup: winner 2003, 2007
• Ambrosini joined Milan in 1995 after beginning his career in Serie B with Cesena; he required a loan spell at Vicenza in 1997/98 − in which he reached the semi-finals of the UEFA Cup Winners' Cup − before making a breakthrough with the Rossoneri.
• Won the Scudetto in 1998/99 and was also a regular the following season, but injuries and stiff competition meant that for several years he struggled to hold down a permanent first-team place.
• Made his debut for Italy in 1999 and was given one start and two substitute appearances at UEFA EURO 2000, including the final defeat by France, but he missed the 2002 and 2006 FIFA World Cups through injury.
• Was not selected for UEFA EURO 2004 but returned to captain the Azzurri in Roberto Donadoni's first game in charge − against Croatia − and appeared at UEFA EURO 2008.
• Made a substitute appearance in the 2003 UEFA Champions League final against Juventus but missed the 2005 showpiece with Liverpool FC having scored a crucial late goal versus PSV Eindhoven in the last four.
• Was a key member of the winning side against Liverpool in 2007, playing the full 90 minutes in Athens; also helped the Rossoneri to FIFA Club World Cup success that same year against CA Boca Juniors.
• Reached the landmark of 250 Serie A appearances for Milan in 2008/09, during which he scored a career-best seven goals in a season; was ever-present, as skipper, in the 2009/10 UEFA Champions League group stage.
©UEFA.com 1998-2015. All rights reserved.