Clubs: RS Futebol, Juventude EC, FC Porto, FC Dinamo Moskva, Fluminense FC, AC Milan, Paris Saint-Germain FC
• Thiago Silva experimented in a variety of positions as a youngster before establishing himself as a central defender in the Brazilian top flight with Juventude.
• Moved to Europe just before his 20th birthday but spells with both Porto and Dinamo Moskva were wrecked by continual injury problems.
• Returned to Brazil to play for Fluminense and, restored to full fitness and form, helped the Rio de Janeiro outfit win the 2007 Brazilian Cup and finish runners-up in the 2008 Copa Libertadores (lost the final on penalties to LDU Quito).
• After winning a bronze medal with Brazil at the 2008 Olympics he was targeted by Milan, who bought him for €10m in December that year but could not field him in a competitive game until 2009/10.
• Became a fixture in the heart of the Rossoneri rearguard alongside Alessandro Nesta, making 33 appearances in 2009/10 and the same number the following campaign as Milan won the Scudetto for the first time in seven years.
• Made only two substitute outings for Brazil in their 2010 FIFA World Cup qualifying campaign and was a non-playing member of the squad at the finals in South Africa.
• Moved to PSG on five-year deal in July 2012 for a reported €42m, joining compatriots Alex, Maxwell and Nenê in Carlo Ancelotti's squad. Excelled in defence as he helped the club to a first French title since 1994 in his maiden season, as well as to the UEFA Champions League quarter-finals.
UEFA.com users' Team of the Year: 2011, 2012, 2013
©UEFA.com 1998-2014. All rights reserved.